©2011. Powered by Blogger.

“Brinner” a/k/a Breakfast for Dinner

Well, I had every intention of proofing my cranberry/clementine bars last night so that I could get that recipe posted, but when I got home I realized that I did not have enough dates to make the date paste so…since I am committed to using what I have and not splurging on unbudgeted items right now…the bars will have to wait.  I did, however, use this opportunity to use up some red peppers and onions that were in need of being eaten. 

When I ask the kids what they want for dinner, and no one can seem to agree, the default meal at our house is "brinner" (a/k/a breakfast for dinner).  This was the case again last night, which was actually rather fortunate because, at the moment, eggs are in abundance at our house, and I happen to have some onions and red peppers in my freezer from last summer's bounty.  These seem perfect for brinner. 

My middle child volunteered to crack the eggs, my youngest volunteered to chop veggies, and my oldest meandered off to read.  Eh, two out of three ain’t bad.

This is what we came up with:

Brinner Muffins**

Ingredients:
12 eggs
1/4 c. red peppers, diced
1/4 c. yellow onion, diced
1 med. potato, baked or boiled in skin and cooled, then cut into 1-inch cubes (we used one left over from a previous meal that I had stuck in the fridge for just such an occasion)* 
1/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

* the potato (like everything here, really) is optional, but it tastes awesome and reminds me of a Spanish tortilla, so it was a no brainer for me.

** Note:  In a perfect world, I would suggest organic everything, and cage free eggs, too, but the world isn’t perfect, and my budget isn’t perfect--most likely yours isn’t either--so you just do the best you can, girlfriend…I won’t judge you.

Directions:
Crack the eggs in a large bowl, add the diced pepper and onion, add the cubed potato (seriously, if you have one on hand, you should toss it in), add the shredded cheese, and some salt and pepper.

Pour the egg/veggie mixture into 12 standard size muffin cups that have been sprayed with olive oil or some other such oil.  (If you are so inclined, you can line the inside of the muffin cups with a slice of ham.)

Bake for about 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees, or until muffins are puffed and set.

Other tasty fillings might be:
tomato chunks
sausage
green onions
chives
herbs of your choice

This is definitely one of those really adaptable recipes that can change with the seasons.

We took the leftover "muffins" and put in a covered container in the refrigerator.  They heat up really well the next day, too.  (So you can feel like a rock-star when you give your kiddos something other than cold cereal for breakfast...or maybe that is just me.)


Life with my Aspie  – (March 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM)  

We are on the same track! I made 'brinner' last night as well. I made scrambled eggs with wild onions and cooked some bacon. So yummy!

Tonight I used the left over chicken, some of the wild onions, the last of the walnuts, and red grapes and celery to whip up chicken salad b/c I am just too tired to do any major cooking at the moment. I'm glad I am too tired though b/c the chicken salad was perfection.

Terri & Angela  – (March 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM)  

That is awesome! It really does sound like we are on the same track. I love it when I can make use of every bit of food, wasting nothing. Tonight I made Minestrone-ish. (It is like minestrone, but I use up a lot of bit of things...the one tonight had tomatoes, potatoes, leeks, celery greens, garlic, zucchini, carrots, parsnips...)

Life with my Aspie  – (March 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM)  

Oh that sounds better than the original Minestrone soup. Our families are so lucky to have us amazing women cooking up such scrumptious food for them.

Post a Comment

Comments (a/k/a "Proof We Are Not Just Talking to Ourselves")

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP