©2011. Powered by Blogger.

Homemade Gluten Free Vegan Noodles

When I first found out that our family was going gluten free, the recipe that I nearly cried at losing was my home made chicken noodle soup.  I could not figure out how to have gluten free noodles that tasted like homemade.  I did not want rice noodles, and I am allergic to quinoa--so those are out.  Plus, I am allergic to eggs...so it decent noodles for a hearty chicken soup seemed to be getting further and further out of my grasp.  In desperation, I started experimenting.  (Necessity being the mother of invention and all that...)

What I came up with is somehow al dente yet tender.  It can be rolled a bit thicker and used, dumpling like, in a hearty soup, but can also be rolled paper thin.  My kids adore these noodles, and I simply do not make my chicken noodle soup with any other noodle.

Before I go any further, I have to admit...these are starch based.  In order to get the texture I wanted this was what worked.  No apologies.

Also, I am posting this (temporarily) without a photo.  I will be making my chicken noodle soup soon, so I will post the photo (and the recipe for the soup) then.

Gluten Free and Vegan Noodles

1/2 c. tapioca starch
1/2 c. cornstarch
3 tbs. potato starch
1 1/2 tbs. xanthan gum (yes, tablespoons...noodles have to be able to bend a lot!)
4 1/2 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer (combine this with 6 tbs. very warm water, whisk until frothy, and set aside)
1 1/2 tbs. vegetable oil
  1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
  2. Take the the Ener-G egg replacer and water mixture and add the vegetable oil, then add to the dry ingredients.
  3. Work the dough into a ball and knead it a LOT.  No, seriously...a lot.  It will take a minute or two for the starches to combine and become easier to work with.  (If the mixture does not combine well after a few minutes of kneading, you can add a tsp. or two of warm water.)
At this point, you can either put the dough in a large plastic zippy bag in the fridge and let it set up for a few hours before rolling and cutting into noodles.  Or, if you are like me, there is no time.  In that case continue to...

     4.  Coat your rolling surface with potato starch and roll to desired thickness.

(Fair warning, they do expand a bit in thickness when they cook, so roll them a bit thinner than you want them to end up.)  Also, I often use the pizza cutter to cut the noodles.  Works great! 

The noodles cook in about ten minutes in boiling water (or just throw them right into your chicken noodle soup recipe)! 

I have used these noodles in my homemade Chicken Noodle Soup and Chicken Alfredo with great success.  (Although, with the chicken allergy, these are now actually Turkey Noodle Soup and Turkey Alfredo at my house...I am just too lazy to train myself to call it something else after 39 years.  I'm just happy that I actually got around to modifying the recipe.  I really missed noodles!)

Anonymous –   – (September 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM)  

Thank you for sharing!

That sounds very creative, I just love noodles!

Terri & Angela  – (September 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM)  

VARIATION: if you do not have egg "issues" (whether ideological or allergy related) and you want to make the recipe WITH EGGS, you just substitute one whole egg and one egg yolk instead of the xanthan gum/water mixture.

Anonymous –   – (September 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM)  

Once again, I thank you so much! My diet is a vegetarian one, so I don't eat eggs or meat.

I would love if you wanted to stop by my two blogs for a visit!

G. Harrison  – (September 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM)  

Thanks for your visit and comment back at It Strikes Me Funny. As you say, "it takes a wise man (etc.)..." and I'm slowly getting there! I think women are wiser at a younger age, and men slowly catch up, only to find the women have grown wiser still!

: ) GH

Post a Comment

Comments (a/k/a "Proof We Are Not Just Talking to Ourselves")

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP