I've been meaning to post this for days now, but it's been That Kind of Week. Two cases in point:
First Terri tried to die on me by nearly choking to death the other night. She's got this swallowing thing, which has had us all watching her veeerrry closely whenever she eats. It's rather traumatic when she starts turning alarming shades of red and blue and we have no wish for a repeat performance. She's finally gone today to see the doctor about it. Follow up visits are to come. Note: This. Is. No. Fun. (And I would also note that there is a certain injustice in such an avid foodie having swallowing issues. I'm just sayin'.)
Then last night, The Night This Must Be Posted, my son is happily working away on a science project (which, of course, was due today) when all of a sudden he runs out of black construction paper. He was using the paper to cover the inside of a box to make it, well, black. After running over every option I had for a substitute (of which I had none--no more black paper, no paint, not even a Sharpie that would do the job) and very seriously considering Terri's offer of borrowing the rest of the black food coloring she had on hand, which was left over from the gluten-free TARDIS cake she made for her son's birthday earlier this month, my son and I finally fled to Target to get more supplies. This ate up the rest of my night. Voila, no post.
But NOW I'm here and now I must share with you that Terri and I have won an award! It's a very special kind of award--one that is passed from blogger to blogger and which asks you to play along, awarding other bloggers and sharing a bit about yourself. Terri and I love this kind of sharing the love thing, so we were honored when we found that Garden Variety Momma had awarded it to us! Here is our shiny new Stylish Blogger Award:
Isn't it pretty? It's so nice to be thought of and to be acknowledged by your peers!
Now, here are the rules if you are awarded the Stylish Blogger Awarded:
- Thank and link back to the person who gave it to you.
- Share 7 things about yourself (and since there are two of us here, you get two for the price of one!)
- Award 10-15 bloggers who you think deserve this award (that's where the sharing the love part comes in)
- Contact these bloggers to let them know about the award.
Now onto 7 things about us. So that you wouldn't feel cheated (because we were just sure you would), Terri and I are going to tell you 7 things apiece.
- I adore thunderstorms and love to write when it is grey and dreary. I'll love this more when my roof is fixed.
- Apparently, I cannot communicate without wild gesturing and the raising of one eyebrow.
- I am deathly afraid of crickets.
- I am a rabid Doctor Who fan. Seriously, I would travel with him any day!
- In the third grade, took a live bat I had found to school with me. Can you say Health Department visit?
- Store mannequins freak me out. (Try growing up with a grandma who owns a store and being exposed to a dark back room full of fake body parts and see how you feel...)
- If anyone wants to bribe me, vanilla bean paste is a good way to do it. (And, apparently I can't count because I only listed 6 things. So this last minute "about me" nullifies Angela's # 6.)
- I have lived in 5 states so far, but have been in Oklahoma for my entire adult life.
- I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 10 years old (not that that says anything about me...)
- Everyone in my house is an Aries, including myself... which is a barrel of laughs... mostly.
- I am desperately in love with everything Terri can't eat: mushrooms, shellfish, dairy (at least not much dairy). So, I eat them all in an effort to make the world a little safer for her.
- I have a strong fondness for cheese danishes. (this is not a hypo-allergenic admission)
- It absolutely astounds me that Terri, who has me surpassed in the foodie realm by miles, didn't mention food once in her "about me."
- I love reading and writing fiction when I'm not reading and writing blogs about sustainable eating.
If you are in this list, your blog has wowed us. We picked you because of your ability to inform and entertain and give us that feeling that "we are not alone." Thank you for your posts, each and every one of them. To accept this award, you simply have to grab the graphic and pass it on to your favorite bloggers. Now go and share the love.
|Jack & The Beanstalk 2.0|
The Oklahoma Cooperative Extension has great information. I, for one, found this planting guide invaluable:
And look! There's one for planting fruit!
and here are the two books I'm relying on the most this season.
Taste-tester review: Terri just gave me some of this zucchini bread this morning and it was AMAZING! For the record, I am not (yet... though that may be scheduled to change soon, due to my adhd child... *deep breath*) gluten-free myself. I still eat all that evil stuff. So when I say amazing, I mean you can make this for your gluten glutton friends & family, and they will love it, too! It's moist and very sweet-bread-satisfying. Trust me. This is good stuff. ~ Angela
The past week has been crazy busy, which means that I have been trying my hand at making dinners that are super easy, and still super tasty. I am still trying to use up things I have in the pantry while I wait for spring (and the Farmers' Markets) to arrive.